Know someone who is about to set off on holiday or go abroad? Here are 65 creative and thoughtful ways to say ‘Have a safe trip’. Copy and paste these safe journey wishes to show them that you care.
Saying goodbye to someone who’s about to depart on a journey can be difficult. Even as a writer, I often struggle to find the right words to say.
These days, I’m usually on the receiving end of goodbyes – but I’ve had to say my fair share of farewells, too. While ‘Have a safe journey’ will sometimes suffice, quoting a simple message, a beautiful saying or even a traditional blessing is an easy way to make a farewell more meaningful and memorable.
I’ve searched books, song lyrics and inspirational sites to come up with this list of 65 safe journey wishes. You can say these out loud, or you can copy and paste your favourite into an email, use it in a caption on social media, or better still, jot it down on a hand-written note!
Tips for wishing someone a safe journey
Goodbyes are often emotional and can be overwhelming, especially when they take place at the airport or at the station. These tips can make saying farewell that much easier.
- Don’t leave your goodbye until the last minute. If you want to make it meaningful, make sure you set aside enough time to say everything you want to say.
- Focus on the next time you’ll meet. Whether it’s catching up for a meal or picking them up from the airport, make a plan and remind them (and yourself) that it’s only a matter of time before you see each other again.
- Make a time to speak. If you know you’ll hear their voice when the flight lands or the train pulls in, you’ll feel much better about sending them off.
- Remember, the person travelling is excited for the journey ahead – but they’re probably just as emotional as you!
- Reassure them that you’ll be thinking of them. These safe journey wishes are perfect for just that.
- It’s not only about what you say, it’s also what you do. Depending on your relationship, a warm hug or a hand on the shoulder can mean a lot.
Short and sweet safe journey wishes
These safe journey messages are thoughtful but to the point. They’re especially good for saying a quick goodbye on social media or by text message.
Best wishes for a safe, happy and fulfilling journey.
May the road be kind to you.
Go safe, move safe, leave safe, home safe.
This goodbye message comes from a Middle English phrase meaning ‘May you prosper’.
When NASA astronaut John Glenn made the first manned orbital flight in 1962, mission control used the word ‘Godspeed’ to wish him a safe journey.
Catch you on the flip side!
We often use this friendly way of saying goodbye in Australia. It comes from late-night radio DJs, who would use the phrase before they put on a vinyl record.
Listeners knew they wouldn’t hear from the DJ again until the record had played through and they had ‘flipped’ the vinyl to the B side.
Stay out of trouble!
A cheeky way of saying ‘Have a safe journey’, appropriate for someone you know well!
First coined in the 14th Century, this phrase prophesied calm waters free from rough waves for someone who was about to set sail on the high seas.
It doesn’t just apply to water travel – nowadays, it can be used as a generic saying to wish someone a breezy journey.
“May the air be clear, your flight smooth, the plane ride safe, and the sky blue!” – Unknown
“May angels fly with you wherever you roam and guide you back safely to family and home.” – Traditional Irish blessing
“The more you weigh, the harder you are to kidnap. Stay safe. Eat cake!” – Unknown
“The world is waiting for you. Good Luck. Travel Safe. Go!” – Phil Keoghan (The Amazing Race)
“I don’t want you coming back empty-handed – I want you coming back with a head full of tall tales, absurdities, and little moments of beauty. Have a safe trip!” – Unknown
How to wish someone safe travels in a different language
Are you saying goodbye to someone who is travelling overseas? Why not wish them a safe journey in the local language of their destination.
Bon voyage! – French
Buon viaggion! – Italian
Gluckliche reise! – German
Viaje seguro! – Spanish
Viagem segura! – Portuguese
Tsetchem leshalom (נסיעה בטוחה) – Hebrew
Chuyến đi an toàn – Vietnamese
Anzen’na tabi (安全な旅)– Japanese
Yīlù píng’ān (一路平安) – Chinese
Surakshit yaatra (सुरक्षित यात्रा) – Hindi
Mae alsalama (مع السلامة) – Arabic
Safari salama – Swahili
Inspiring safe journey wishes
Are you wishing a safe journey to some who is feeling nervous or anxious? Or maybe you just want to offer some parting words of wisdom that will inspire them to make the most of their trip.
These inspirational journey quotes and travel affirmations are suitable for family, friends or your significant other.
“It’s time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I’d much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure.” – Ernie Harwell
“Not I, nor anyone else can travel that road for you. You must travel it by yourself. It is not far. It is within reach. Perhaps you have been on it since you were born, and did not know. Perhaps it is everywhere – on water and land.” – Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
“If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.” – Paulo Coelho
- “As with most phobias, the fear of flying does make some sense, but if ever there was a fear worth quashing then this is it. After all, life is short, and there’s a great big world to explore out there.” – Beth Ditto
- “The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease forever to be able to do it. The reason birds can fly and we can’t is simply that they have perfect faith, for to have faith is to have wings.” – J. M. Barrie (Peter Pan)
- “Embrace what you don’t understand, what you can’t see just yet, experience something new.” – Unknown
“Life is a journey, not a destination.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars.” – Jack Kerouac, On the Road
“What is that feeling when you’re driving away from people and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It’s the too-huge world vaulting us, and it’s good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies.” – Jack Kerouac, On the Road
- “Today is the first step on a brand new journey. All you have to do is keep moving.” – Unknown
- “Most people spend their lives dreaming about somewhere else, go there.” – Unknown
- “Ships may be safest docked in the harbor, but that is not what they were designed to do.” – Unknown
“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” – Confucius
“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.” – Helen Keller
“Tourists don’t know where they’ve been, travellers don’t know where they’re going.” – Paul Theroux
“A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” – Lao Tzu
- “The world is open to an endless stream of potential experiences; it’s up to you to navigate that raging torrent of possibilities and find your own destination.” – Unknown
- “Remember that true contentment comes from stepping out into the unknown and beating back the ghosts of insecurity. Enjoy this trip and all that it has to offer and let your mind be open to new experiences.” – Unknown
- “Get ready for the unexpected, for the trivial and mundane to be turned into the profound and insightful.” – Unknown
“Travel makes one modest, you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.” – Gustave Flaubert
“Travel is about the gorgeous feeling of teetering in the unknown.” – Anthony Bourdain
“Travel far enough, you meet yourself.” – David Mitchell
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” — Henry David Thoreau
Safe journey wishes for your significant other
Saying farewell to the person you love – be they a girlfriend or boyfriend, husband or wife – is often the hardest goodbye of all.
These romantic quotes can help you convey your feelings while wishing your loved one a safe journey.
“How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.” – A.A. Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)
“Distance means so little when someone means so much.” – Unknown
“Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.” – Rumi
“The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks (The Notebook)
“You’re my favourite hello, but my hardest goodbye.” – Unknown
And if it’s you who’s saying goodbye…
“Close your eyes and I’ll kiss you
Tomorrow I’ll miss you
Remember I’ll always be true
And then while I’m away
I’ll write home every day
And I’ll send all my lovin’ to you”
– The Beatles, All My Loving
“So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you’ll wait for me
Hold me like you’ll never let me go
‘Cause I’m leavin’ on a jet plane
Don’t know when I’ll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go”
– John Denver, Leaving on a Jet Plane
Thoughtful safe journey wishes for friends & family
These friendly travel quotes are perfect if you’re parting ways with a friend or family member.
“Though miles may lie between us, we are never far apart, for friendship doesn’t count miles, it’s measured by the heart.” – Unknown
“There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” – Mahatma Gandhi
“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” – Henry David Thoreau
“Goodbyes are not forever, are not the end; it simply means I’ll miss you until we meet again.” – Unknown
“The pain of parting is nothing to the joy of meeting again.” – Charles Dickens
Traditional safe journey messages from around the world
Every culture and religion has its own beautiful and poetic ways of saying farewell. Here are just a few of my favourites.
“May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields and,
Until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand,
May Angels fly with you wherever you roam and guide you back safely to family and home.”
– Traditional Irish blessing
“May good luck be your friend in whatever you do and may trouble be always a stranger to you.” – Traditional Irish farewell
“Goodbye, goodbye, loved one, goodbye. We’ll meet again, God willing.” – Kwa Heri by Libana, a Swahili goodbye song
“May you ride comfortably and tirelessly on the road you travel! May your golden way be filled with prosperity! Please go easy and well on your way! Please go well!” – Traditional Mongolian farewell
Beautiful safe travel blessings & prayers
For He shall give His angels charge over you,
To keep you in all your ways.
In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.
– Psalm 91:11-12
“Arise with you in the morning, travel with you through each day, Welcome you on your arrival. God, be with you all the way.” – Christian prayer
“Be mindful, O Lord, of those who travel by land, by sea, and by air… upon them all send forth Thy mercies, for Thou art the Giver of all good things.” – Orthodox Christian prayer
And there you have it – 65 thoughtful and heartfelt ways to say farewell to someone who’s travelling. What are your favourite goodbye quotes?